Welcome to the Birmingham Astronomical Society (UK)
promoting astronomy since 1950...
Visitors are welcome to our monthly lectures which are usually held on the last Tuesday of the month (room 554 main building) with a 7-30pm start (there are no lectures in July and August).
If you wish to come along to one of our lectures follow the signage in the main university building or ask at the security office. See Events for details.
We also have our own club room at the University (map) which is open every Wednesday evening for astronomical discussion (and a cup of tea and a biscuit!). For security reasons access to the club room needs to be by prior arrangement, please get in touch if you want to come along. Although we are based at Aston University, we are NOT part of the academic faculty. We are amateur astronomers, and we use a room at the university as a base. (please note that the clubroom is NOT room 554).
If you arrive late on a Wednesday (after 7:30pm ) please call 0121 204 4731.
* New members are always welcome! (... and here are 9 reasons to join.)
* How to find us MAP.
* Games to Play.
Kelling Heath Star Party
24th to 28th of November 2016
Please Book via Kelling Heath
www.kellingheath.co.uk - 01263 588181
Tent - 24th Thur -28th Sun Leave Monday Morning
Serviced Pitch - Per night inc elc - £14.50
Pitch & hire of electric hook-up point, service included if required
Serviced Premium Pitch - Per nights - £15.50
Pitch & hire of electric hook-up point, serviced included if required
Water, waste & TV connection
Lodge - Fri 25th - Sun 27th
Leave Monday Morning
Central heating and double glazing
2 Bed Lodge - sleeps up to 4 : £ CALL
3 Bed Lodges - sleeps up to 6 : £ 350
Or Hire a caravan and get it delivered
6 Birth Caravan - Friday to Monday (leave 10am) - Buget £200 - Silver £275 - Gold £300 - Delivery £82
Call to book and confirm Price and Caravan Size.
Aston University - 7.30pm - The lecture theatre is on the 5th floor, room 554, it is accessed from Main Reception by walking to the end of the Upper Ground floor corridor (with the Great Hall on your left) and then turning left through the double doors and taking the lifts to 5th floor. On exiting the lift, turn left through double doors and room 554 is down the corridor on your left.
Next Event - All Events List
The Observatory Science Centre - Herstmonceux
2nd - 5th September
We had another fantastic weekend in 2015 and are now gearing up for the 2016 event! Watch this page as more details emerge about this year's festival.
Our lovely new marquee became the lecture theatre last year and was very well received so will be used again this year giving ample space for everyone. Details of speakers will be posted when confirmed.
Bookings for the camping and weekend registration will begin on the 1st March.
Camp under the backdrop of the observatory domes:
• There are a limited number of pitches so BOOK EARLY!
• Friday, Saturday and Sunday (2nd/3rd/4th September)
• £30 per pitch regardless of the number of nights. Allows up to 5 people per pitch.
• Size of pitch: 7.5m x 7.5m. Please note that we cannot accomodate tents, caravans or motorhomes that are larger than your pitch. There are plenty of camping sites in the local area that would be more suitable for your needs.
• If you are bringing a caravan or motorhome with toilet facilities, please note that there will be no provision for emptying toilet waste.
• Pitches will be allocated beforehand on a first come first served basis. Please select your pitch from the camping site map at the top of this page before you phone the Centre to book. Please note that there are different areas for families, adults only and general camping. Please select a pitch in the appropriate area for your group. While we endeavour to update the map on a regular basis we cannot guarantee that the pitch you choose will be available when you book. Please select an alternative as a back up.
• Please read the camping rules (top of this page) very carefully before you phone the Centre to book your pitch. This document contains important information.
If you are able to join us for the whole weekend then we are again offering a fantastic deal.
Family of four: £110
Family of five: £140
With your weekend registration you will receive a souvenir, a ticket to visit the gardens and grounds of Herstmonceux Castle and a wrist band which permits entry into The Centre from Friday afternoon until 6pm on Sunday. This can be booked in advance (does NOT include camping). Wrist bands are not transferable and you are required to wear your wrist band at all times. The Centre reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone who is not wearing a wrist band.
MEMBERS: Enjoy a 10% discount on FULL WEEKEND registration from 1st March to 30th June (this applies to full weekend registration only and no discounts can be offered on a session by session basis).
Admission per session (there are four sessions including the 'Open Evenings')
Under 4: FREE
This price applies to EACH of the four sessions (please note that membership is not valid for the astronomy festival weekend but you can get a 10% discount on full weekend registration if you book BEFORE 1st July).
Friday: 6.30pm - 11pm (also listed as an Open Evening)
Saturday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday: 6.30pm - 11pm (also listed as an Open Evening)
Sunday: 10am - 6pm
Herstmonceux Castle is well worth a visit during your stay. There is a separate admission price if you do not purchase weekend registration. Entry to the gardens and grounds of the castle: £6 adult, £4.95 senior, £3 child. Tours of the castle are sometimes available at an additional cost.